International Contract for the Supply of raw Hides and Skins
With the support of other EU associations, COTANCE's Italian member UNIC developed a new international contract model for the supply of hides and skins.
This leaner, more modern contract is based on the Vienna International Convention of 1980, which governs the buying and selling of movables. It intends to create new opportunites for developing the market by modernizing the method of barganining, guaranteeing maximum protection to all participants and putting buyers and sellers on equal footing.
The English/Italian contract is available as a pdf document on UNIC's web site.
Management changes at BLC
BLC Research announces changes to the structure and management of the organisation. From 1 September 2005 two separate divisions will operate under the auspices of the holding company BLC Research.
The two divisions will be the internationally renowned BLC Leather Technology Centre Ltd and the UK Leather Federation (UKLF), the re-branded trade association representing the leather manufacturing companies in the UK. UKLF members will benefit from an organisation dedicated to providing a comprehensive range of UK specific support. This change will reinforce the level of service to both groups.
COTANCE Submission regarding the EU Origin Marking initiative
COTANCE pleads for an EC Origin Marking Regulation applying to the leather value chain that is linked to a compulsory EU composition-labelling Scheme for all consumer articles made typically of leather where the origin of the relevant components is equally identified.
- the development of an origin marking of the sector’s products where relevant and technically feasible, and an origin certification for all imported sector’s products that qualifies their origin by mentioning the relevant value adding steps conferring origin: tanning, crusting, finishing, cutting & sewing or stitching, assembling…
- the extension of the EU Footwear Labelling rules to Leathergoods, and Leather Clothing and Gloves and the obligation to indicate the origin of the component materials.
Discussion Paper: Towards A Dedicated European Research Programme for SMEs
to promote competitiveness, growth and employment
Proposals for the Implementation of the Seventh Framework Programme, presented by organisations associated with 500,000 SMEs in all sectors of the European economy.
1. More effectively engage SMEs to meet the Barcelona and Lisbon objectives
2. Improve the targeting of R&D funding towards sustaining SME competitiveness and promoting SMEs with European and global growth potential
3. Review the current 15% SME target and allocate half of future SME funding to a dedicated programme
4. Capitalise on, and supplement, the success of existing instruments: CRAFT, Collective and STREPs
5. Strengthen the exploitation of SME research results by integrating demonstration and dissemination activities
APIC and CTIC have been working on the renewal of the Portuguese Leather Industry’s image
For that purpose, a new logo for the Portuguese Leather Industry was created, with a Portuguese and International version.
The creation of these logos was the first step of this renewal process which comprehended the promotion of the industry and leather products in newspapers, a campaign promoting leather products in stores, a new webpage for the sector – which is being developed – and also the publication of the Portuguese Leather Industries Directory.